Monday, June 10, 2013

Magazine Monday: admirable motivation

I featured Ann Romney from last year's Fierce List from More Magazine. This year, I'm featuring another fierce lady from this list: Misty May-Treanor. The beach volleyball superstar has a pretty cool motto. Play for all those who can't, the sick, the disabled.


As I've talked about a few times on this blog, my experience with losing the ability to walk and otherwise use my legs appropriately, had a big impact on me. I think the human body and what it can do when it is functioning properly is pretty darn amazing. As in, miraculous and very much worth celebrating. I try to keep this mindset present as much as possible, now that my legs do basically work. And I've been trying to use this as a motivation for using them - for walking, for working out, for pushing myself. I am planning to crystallize these thoughts into something more concrete, but I love the idea of exercise and physical mastery over tasks like sports and endurance challenges being done because they can be done. Running a race because you can run, and so forth. This is the spirit of May-Treanor's motto and I really admire and appreciate it. Thoughts?

No comments: