Wednesday, September 27, 2017

MS on Television: This is Us

This is Us is one of my favorite shows. It's one that consistently has me reaching for the kleenex, and I love shows that make me cry. On the first episode of the new season, we learn that the mother of one of the characters has MS. A quick Googling tells me that we actually learned that fact last season. We have definitely not met this character and I don't know if we will. I probably forgot because the character and storyline in question are related to the only character on the show I don't really care about: Kevin. Does anyone actually like Kevin? I felt the tiniest smidge of empathy for him maybe once or twice during the first season, but mostly he drives me crazy. (To be fair, he definitely made me cry extra hard in one pivotal emotional scene towards the end of the first season but at the same time made me annoyed and upset.)

Onto the MS. Kevin's girlfriend Sophie's mom has MS. Sophie has to cancel her trip to see Kevin on his birthday.

Sophie: It's my mom. She had a really bad morning and I just couldn't leave her.

Kevin: Of course not...how 'bout now, though? She good? She good now?

Sophie: She has MS. She's never good. I'm sorry.


Later, Kevin's sister Kate asks where Sophie is.

Kevin: Canceled.

Kate: MS?

Kevin: Yeah.


And that's it. The "She has MS. She's never good." line made me laugh because there's definitely some truth to that, though I could also see why some people might be offended by that line.

Will this storyline go anywhere? I just unintentionally saw a spoiler that makes me think we might actually meet Sophie's mom at some point this season. So, stay tuned maybe probably for another post. And if you don't already watch this show, it is worth the hype. You must start at the beginning, though.

No comments: