Tuesday, April 10, 2012

HAWMC 2012: Dear Me-at-16

Dear Kayla,

I could tell you so many things about the next 15 years of your life. I could tell you about wonderful things, horrible things, mundane things. I could tell you what to do with your life based on what I know. I could prevent you from making certain decisions you will come to regret. I could suggest alternate paths to take based on things that will happen to you.


And part of me really wants to tell you all of these these things. Part of me wishes desperately that I could influence your choices, that I could guide your decisions. But, I know you - I am you. I know that much of this information would leave you feeling paralyzed. It would heighten your anxiety rather than lessen it. And how do I know that any of these changes would ultimately make things better, easier, happier?


So, I will tell you only this: there are bad things in your future, just like everyone. But there are so many truly wonderful things - people you will meet, places you will visit, experiences you will have. Much laughter, much delicious food consumed, wonderful memories made with family and friends. You have so much to look forward to. As for those bad things, I want you to know that you have the strength and the courage to handle anything that comes your way. You'll find ways to make the best of your lot, ways to find the hidden blessings. You'll power on. You'll even inspire others.


With much love,
your future self

This post inspired by HAWMC prompt of the day:
Write a letter to yourself at age 16.

No comments: