Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Challenge Day 6: Why I Write

Today's prompt in the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge: "I write about my health because..."

...the basic idea behind my blog is that MS often serves as a muse for me. It can make me think about things in a different way than I would otherwise and it also just makes me think about different things than I used to think about. I write about these thoughts as a form of quasi-artistic release.

...my health can make me feel lonely and writing is a way of connection to others. Even those who are the closest and try the hardest can't really "get" what it is to be chronically ill unless they know it firsthand. I have no real-life friends with MS or other chronic illness, and being part of this health blogging world gives me a bit of connection with others who really do get it.

...I want those people in my life who care to have a glimpse into my health-affected world and I generally express myself best in writing.

...I love the written word and believe it has great power. I write to take the power away from my MS and to turn the ugly of the disease into something better.

1 comment:

Mary Mennenga said...

I know it always seem to be a work in progress, remember your not alone and writing is a wonderful way fight m.s. because you are the same person you have always been. I look forward to reading more about you.